Tennessee Boater Safety Exam2021-04-20T13:42:54-05:00

TWRA Boater Safety Exam

Hardin County Library is the location for taking the TWRA boat safety exam. All individuals that were born after January 1, 1989 and who operate a motorized craft on the water are required by the state of Tennessee to take the exam. The tests are given by appointment only, so please call 925-4314 and schedule an appointment with Connie, Frances, Shelia or Gary.

In order to take the exam, bring with you an identification and the $10.00 certificate that can be purchased at Walmart or any other local place that sells hunting licenses. On the day the exam is passed, you will be legal to operate a craft on a Tennessee waterway.

We have study guide booklets available at the front desk, or you can access it online at www.boat-ed.com/tennessee.

For additional information about boating safety education, please visit the TWRA Boating Safety Education page.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I replace my lost or stolen boating safety card?2017-07-16T16:45:57-05:00

If your boating safety card is lost or stolen, you may purchase a Type 605 license from a license agent for $5.00. The duplicate card will be mailed approximately 2 weeks from purchase date.

– See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/boating-safety-education#sthash.HK8AGwQc.dpuf

For additional information about boating safety education and FAQs, please visit the TWRA Boating Safety E

How long does it take to complete the exam?2017-08-26T12:58:38-05:00

Allow approximately one hour to take the exam. The exam can be taken twice daily.

How do I study?2017-07-16T16:42:06-05:00

There are many avenues to study:

  • You may call (615) 781-6682, e-mail, or write to Boating Division, TWRA, PO Box 40747, Nashville, TN 37204 and have study materials sent to you (free) and self study.
  • You may log onto www.boat-ed.com/tennessee and study online by clicking  “Study Guide” at the top of the page.
  • Boating Safety Class. There are many classroom classes offered throughout the state. Click here for a list of places in West Tennessee. Some of them offer safety classes as well.
How do I take the exam?2017-07-16T16:41:40-05:00

First, you must be at least 12 years old to take the exam. After studying the boating safety material, you must first purchase, for $10.00, a Type 600 boating safety exam permit from any business (license agent) that sells hunting and fishing licenses (WalMart sporting goods, bait stores, marinas, etc.).

The receipt from this transaction is your “ticket” to take the exam. Try not to lose this receipt, it will admit you into an exam location and will also serve as a temporary certificate if you pass the exam.

If you do not pass the exam, this receipt/”ticket” can continue to be used to take the exam as many times as it takes to pass. Try not to lose it!

For more information or to receive a home study book: Call the Boating Education Office at (615) 781-6682 or send an e-mail.

Note: People who rent any type of watercraft are exempt from having the certification.  The renter is determined by the name that appears on the rental agreement.

If your parents or someone else purchases the permit for you to take the exam, they must give your information to the sales agent. Otherwise the proper information will not match and you will not receive the boating safety certificate.

Go to Top